Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Owning a Pet Dog

Recently my good friend Terrywhatlee had a post on Great Danes and it was only then I even came to know that Scooby-Doo is a Great Dane. Though I have been a great dog lover, never ever did I cared to know about the various breeds and things like that.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to see for the first time in my life a Great Dane in person, while I was visiting Montauk Point, the eastern tip of Long Island. I wasn't sure whether it was Great Dane. I needed to know. My curiosity got the better of me and I walked towards the owner and asked him. He was polite and he said that it is indeed Great Dane. He also told me how friendly she is, especially how much she likes to spend time with children at home.

Since then I have been finding it very difficult to stop reading about Great Danes. Myself and Amrapali are very fond of dogs and plan to own one. Amrapali did have a dog as a kid, whereas I never had that opportunity.

It is quite expensive to own a dog. More than the money, it is more about responsibility of having a dog as a member of your home. Though the emotional reasons and the responsibilities of owning a dog is important, a good idea about the costs is also essential. There is no point in overlooking this fact. I found an article which gives an estimate of costs involved in having a dog. I am sure there are plenty of sources which have estimates. But this one is a good start.

1 comment:

terrywhatlee said...

Narasimhan,

If you do decide to adopt, I recommend looking for dogs in the local Humane society. In many cases, they have very well-behaved, young and healthy pets who have been let go only as the very last resort.

Local Humane societies usually don't mind and appreciate it if someone drops by and decides to take one of their wards for a walk. I know it's somewhat like a trial offer in that they would also like to get you hooked, but nevertheless something to try.

Also, you can search for local parks online where they allow pets and usually these places are filled with dogs and their owners on the weekends and visiting one of these places can make a surprisingly entertaining Saturday evening as long as you watch your step!

terrywhatlee