Friday, July 14, 2006

Saif Ali Khan: A Revelation

I recently watched Dil Chata Hai. It is a very ordinary movie and was all hype. In fact my reason for wanting to see the movie was Saif Ali Khan.

If I have seen somebody grow up on screen as an actor it has to be Saif. I first got a glimpse of this change in him when I saw Parineeta (thanks to Priya and Arvind). It was one of those passionate love story, well made. Had good music too. Saif played a very well crafted role. Later I also saw Hum Tum, a role for which he got National Award.

Later I also watched him in Salaam Namaste and finally DCH.

Probably he is telling to himself in Rajni style (Baadsha) "Evalo paathirupom" (Have seen it all) and to come to think of it, he probably has. Son of Tiger Pataudi and Sharmila Tagore and early entry in to Hindi film industry. Falls in love with a much elder woman, marries her against all opposition, both from family and public, does really bad movies with even badly made roles, is a father of a daughter, gets divorce from his wife ...

He reminds me a lot of a room-mate of mine in his "har katein". May be I see this person in him. But then I do think Saif is one of the best in Hindi cinema. He makes Amir and Akshaye look mere actors in this movie.

But I should admit there was one particular scene in DCH that was really amazing. This is the scene where the train leaves with Preeti Zinta still on the platform. The look of her through the glass door of the train, says it all in that movie about the relationship that she is yearning for from Amir. It is impossible to love somebody and not show it off in some form or the other.

No comments: