Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A wonderful Blog

Reading blogs is like having a conversation with your friends. Anyone who has stayed in hostels knows very well how to waste time. Just drop into somebody's room around 11.30 PM. During these conversations, literally everything under the sky and sometimes beyond, are discussed. I have had conversations with my friends that have gone well into the morning. Once myself and Magesh were talking through the night when we were at Kanpur. Suddenly we realised that the tube light in my room wasn't making any impact. How could it, for the light outside was brighter. We decided to have breakfast and go to bed. As you have these conversations, lots of things are brought back into your memories and they stay. As John Keating would say, in Dead Poets Society " God's were created, women swooned", the conversation covered all ages.

Some blogs do provide that kind of sense of feeling. More often than not, I have observed that I tend to like blogs that talk about things or events that happened when I was growing up. To dismiss it as feeding to your nostalgia feeling is very unfair, atleast in my opinion. Ever since Tilotamma stopped blogging, this is something I sorely miss. She could make me travel to a different time or different place, that is my own. When she writes about Omar Mukhthar, all I remember is Alankar Theater and line "50 crore movie magnum" or for that matter, when I enter Trader's Joe "Namma trader's joela kettu paaru".

This past sunday, I was searching for Rajan Bala, erstwhile cricket correspondent for Indian Express. I ended up in this wonderful blog, The Talkative Man Speaks. I would really like to meet this person and have long conversations with him.

There are some things that he writes are straight of any body's life. For example, in the Carl Lewis story he writes

It was a summer evening in '84 that I was seated outside the house with Appa. Rajaram reading the AIR news announced that Carl Lewis had won the 100m in 9.99 seconds. Appa snapped his fingers ten times and remarked that Lewis would have finished the race within that time frame.


In the same carl lewis, while responding to one of the comments about Atlanta, he uses the song "Vizhiyile malarndadhu, uyirile kalandadhu" so aptly, it goes so well with that response and context.

When I knew about Tilotamma's blog, I completed the archives the same day. I did the same thing when i first came to know of Ramesh Mahadevan. Now I am going through the archives of TTM.

No comments: